The Old Allentown Historic District was established on September 6, 1978 by City Ordinance #12314 and was certified by the Pennsylvania State Historical and Museum Commission (P.H.M.C.) on September 26, 1978. The neighborhood was laid out in the original plan for Allentown, then called Northampton Town, by order of William Allen in 1762. The area developed as the City grew northward and westward and today contains a mixture of housing styles including Federal, Italianate, Eastlake and Victorian.
Map of Old Allentown Historic District
Old Allentown Preservation Association
The Old Fairgrounds Historic District was established on July 8, 1981 by City Ordinance #12314 and was certified by the P.H.M.C. on September 9, 1981. The district takes its name from the use of the area as the Lehigh County Agricultural Society's fairgrounds from 1852-1888. After the Society moved the fairgrounds to its current location at 17th and Chew Streets the land was auctioned off to developers. The area was developed with a mix of Victorian style homes which are now protected by the Historic District Ordinance.
Map of Old Fairgrounds Historic District
The West Park Historic District was established on December 20, 2000 by City Ordinance #13881 and was certified by the P.H.M.C. on February 21, 2001. The area is the newest district in the City and the first to be outside of the center city area. The district itself is centered around and named after the City's first park, West Park. The homes in the district are good examples of Colonial Revival and Queen Anne styles.
Map of West Park Historic District
West Park Civic Association
Download Guidelines for Historic Districts
City of Allentown - 435 Hamilton Street - 610-439-5999