Allentown streets will be decorated with Hometown Hero banners to recognize and honor past and present military veterans.
Families may honor any living or deceased loved one who was a veteran of the U.S Armed Forces as long as the person to be honored has a past or present connection to the city of Allentown.
Anyone who is honored on Allentown War Memorials, and veterans recommended by the local VFW or American Legion posts are also eligible.
“Residents of the city of Allentown have always been eager to answer their country’s call,” said Mayor Ray O’Connell. “The banners are a small way to honor them for their service.”
Each banner costs $130.00. Installation and storage costs are being borne by the city.
The banner will be:
- 24” x 48”
- constructed of heavy vinyl
- printed the same on both sides
- will display the service person’s photograph, his or her full name, branch of the military, and the era of service (WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Desert Storm etc.)
- displayed in years 2021 & 2022 from May through Veterans Day in November, in observance of all Military Branch birthdays
- removed and stored until the same period in the following year, at which time they will be redisplayed
Click here for a Hometown Hero application form HometownHeroesApplication.pdf (allentownpa.gov).
The application must be accompanied by a photo of the hero in uniform.
Checks should be made payable to Hometown Heroes and should be mailed to:
Anne Henning Scheuring
225 South Line Street
Lansdale, PA. 19446
Applications for display during the 2021-22 season are due by Monday, March 15, 2021.
Applications received after March 15, 2021 will be processed for installation during the 2022 season.
For additional information, please contact Ann Henning Scheuring at 215.855.1743 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.