Skip to Content
  • Contact Us
  • Text Size - Metro Government of Allentown (Print logo)

Street Vacations

  1. Submit a Street Vacation Petition to the City Clerk. A non-refundable filing fee of $300 must be included with the application.
  2. The City Clerk will forward the application to City Staff.
  3. City Staff will get comments from utility companies and adjoining property owners.
  4. City Staff will report to the City Planning Commission.
  5. The Planning Commission will make a recommendation to City Council.
  6. City Council will assign it to the Public Works committee of Council.
  7. The Public Works Committee will make the recommendation to full Council.
  8. City Council will vote on the Ordinance to vacate the street.

The entire process normally takes 3-4 months, but could take longer. There is no guarantee that the vacation will be approved and, if denied, the $300 application fee is not returned. In most cases the street will be divided with half of the street going to the adjoining property owners, no matter who paid for the application.