This Board acts as an advisory body to promote recreation programs and facilities within the City of Allentown. The Board was established in 1921.
When at full capacity, the Board of Recreation consists of twelve members. Members are appointed by the Mayor and Allentown City council.
Anyone who is looking to join the Board of Recreation should:
- Have previous experience or an educational background in recreational programming
- Be willing to volunteer time to assist with projects
- Have the ability to work with others on the Board of Recreation as well as with elected officials, city staff, ASD school board members, and A-Youth
- Be willing to, if asked, participate in planning of parks redesigns
- Help guide the Mayor to choose a diverse representation of Allentown neighborhoods
Meetings and agendas are available to view via the Legistar portal.
To apply to serve on the Board of Recreation, please fill out a Request for Appointment.