Skip to Content
  • Contact Us
  • Text Size - Metro Government of Allentown (Print logo)

New Resident Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  I am moving to Allentown. Who do I contact for utility services?
A.  The following are some providers of services in Allentown:
Water - Lehigh County Authority: 610 437-7515
  • Garbage Collections - Allentown Recycling and Solid Waste: 610 437-8729 
  • Gas -  UGI Utilities & UGI Penn Natural Gas: (800) 276-2722 UGI, Central Penn Gas: (800) 652-0550 or Website
  • Electric: Pennsylvania Power and Light Company: 1-800-DIAL-PPL (1-800-342-5775) or Website

Q.  Where do I register my children for school?
A.   The Allentown School District ASD is the third largest school district in the state of PA and has a total enrollment of  more than 17,000 students attending 22 schools. The Administration building is located at 31 South Penn Street. To learn more and to register your children please call (484) 765-4000. Enrollment packets are available at any of the district schools or may be downloaded from this site.

Q.  What day is solid waste collection?
A.  Please call 610 437-8729. To learn more about the City of Allentown’s solid waste collection and innovative recycling program please visit their website.

Q:  What are payment options?
A.  Utility bills may be paid in person at City Hall – 435 Hamilton Street from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. There is a secured mail slot across from the front door, payments may be mailed to City of Allentown, 435 Hamilton Street, Allentown, PA 18101 or payments may be made on-line.

Q:  What can I recycle?
A:  The City of Allentown has an innovative recycling program. Recycle bins can be picked up at the Solid Waste and Recycling office located at 641 South 10th Street.

Q:  When and where does the City Council meet?
A:  Council meets the first and third Wednesday of every month.

Q:  Where and when are agenda and minutes posted?
A.  The agenda is posted on the city website prior to the council meeting. Ordinances, resolutions, minutes, Council Rules, the Home Rule Charter and the entire city code are also posted on the city website. If you would like to address the body Council provides many opportunities for public comment on city operations and legislation at their meetings. If you would like to be included on Council’s email blast for meeting notifications, please contact their office at 610.437.7539 or email the Clerk at

Q:  Do you license cats or dogs?
A:  Cats no, dogs, however must be licensed by Lehigh County. For additional information please review the Animal Control webpage.

Q:  Is a building permit required when a garage or other accessory building is constructed?
A.  Yes, almost any remodeling or construction requires a building permit. An application may be made at city hall, or downloaded from the City of Allentown Planning and Zoning web page

Q. I want to plant a tree/install a fence (or dig a hole for about any reason). Should I contact anyone?
A. Yes, please contact 1-800 242-1776. The call center is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week every day of the year.

Q. What are the hours of city hall?
A. City Hall is open 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Q. Where do I get…???
A. Birth certificates, Death Certificates, Marriage Licenses, Hunting and Fishing Licenses, Property Assessment information

Q. How do I register to vote-and where do I vote?
A. Voter registration cards may be picked up at Lehigh County Government Center, 17 South Seventh Street. You may also call 610 482-3194. For more information please visit their website.